A Woman Of A Certain Age
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-29 08:37:35 UTC
BA: No wonder you were called a *Hot Head*! But, I can see beneath it
all, of this writer's group, Douglas Richardson is *The Lion* and you are
*The Ice Princess.*
Bill
Renia is both a hot head and an Ice Princess. Renia has the
remarkable ability to manifest every emotion known to mankind and
others! And all at the same time!
I believe a mini-series on her remarkable abilities will soon appear.
Will "I was serious one time" Johnson

<G>

A woman of a certain age...

"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

That's because Renia Simmonds, our Brit expatriatrix in Athens, is clearly
an exhibitionist....

As well as more than a bit slutty.

Renia vociferously insists she's just "flirty"...

Hilarious!

Whatever, Jeanne Moreau she definitely is not.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Leticia Cluff
2007-11-29 12:53:33 UTC
Recte:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:37:35 -0000, "D. Spencer Hines"
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.

Just the kind of mistake we would expect from a man who is,
in his own words:

"clearly naive, none-too-swift and a damned fool to boot." ***

Tish

*** The source of this confession by DSH can be provided if necessary.
La N
2007-11-29 13:14:55 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.
Just the kind of mistake we would expect from a man who is,
"clearly naive, none-too-swift and a damned fool to boot." ***
Tish
*** The source of this confession by DSH can be provided if necessary.
I don't have to go to one of those porn groups to see this confession, do I?

- nilita
Richard Casady
2007-11-29 14:41:20 UTC
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:53:33 -0400, Leticia Cluff
Post by Leticia Cluff
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.
Just the kind of mistake we would expect from a man who is,
"clearly naive, none-too-swift and a damned fool to boot." ***
Tish
*** The source of this confession by DSH can be provided if necessary.
While I do dislike DSH sufficiently to delete all his stuff unread, I
think gigging him over a circumflex is a bit much. Myself, I don't use
anything not visible on a standard keyboard, so that I can be sure
everyone will read the stuff the same way I wrote it. Maybe he just
wanted to keep it simple.

Casady
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-29 17:30:11 UTC
Exactly...

A Good Rule...

I've learned over the years not to use other than the standard English
alphabet, in most cases, lest my post wind up garbled on many screens and
the Gentle Readers not be able to read it.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Casady
Westprog
2007-11-29 22:17:08 UTC
There are no major browsers that won't recognize the ALT characters.
I've seen terrible things happen to accents via Google Groups.
--
J/

SOTW: "Ellen West" - Throwing Muses
The Highlander
2007-11-30 17:40:23 UTC
Post by Westprog
There are no major browsers that won't recognize the ALT characters.
I've seen terrible things happen to accents via Google Groups.
Here are the most commonly used:

À à Á á Â â Ää Å å Æ æ

È è É é Ê ê Ë ë Ðð þ Þ

Ì ì Í í Î î Ï ï Ç ç Ññ

Ò ò Óó Ôô Ö ö Øø

Ù ù Úú Ûû Üü ß¡ ¿

I'll be interested to see how they appear via readers other than
Agent, the software I use.

This URL explains the various options how to install accent help on
PCs, Macs. etc.
http://www.starr.net/is/type/kbh.html

Sometimes horrendous mistakes can be made by omitting or not correctly
pronouncing letters differentiated. Particularly in the Gaelic
languages and also in French.

For example in French:

"Répetez, s'il vous plaît". (RAY-petty)
Note: "Répetez" with accent (meaning "Repeat, please").

"Repetez, s'il vous plaît". (RIH-petty)
Note: "Repetez" without accent (meaning "Fart again, please").
In Gaelic slang,
"Beil thu 'g iarraidh muin?" (Would you like to have sexual
intercourse? (Literally, would you like a ride?) Muin (moo-een)- no
accent, no stress.)

"Beil thu 'g iarraidh mùin?" (Would you like to urinate?) Mùin
(mooo-een (- accent - long stress).

Get the stress wrong and you may find yourself and your bed enjoying a
"Golden Shower" as Hines no doubt calls his nocturnal activities.

Gaelic offers many opportunities for shocking your listeners,
especially as Gaelic society is deeply into euphemism.

I suppose I may as well point out that the same pitfalls exist in most
Chinese languages, as whether one uses a low-pitched or a high-pitched
tone completely alters the meaning of a word (which is why Chinese
languages sound so singsong.)

For example, the polite stock phrase: (All the following is Cantonese)

"Gwai sing a?" (What is) your honourable family name? Gwai remains
neutral.
"Gwái sing a?" (Rising tone) (What is) your foreign devil name?

Jouh sih (neutral). Do business. Jouh sí (rising tone) to excrete.

This last was one of my more spectacular gaffes when dealing with
Chinese investors and expressed the hope that we could do business
together. Half of them jerked upright with shock and then began
laughing helplessly, while the other half primly pressed their lips
together and were obviously horrified.

After all it's not every day that a Scottish businessman confides his
hope that he'll be enjoying a shit with you in the near future.

I figure I got a 50/50 score; that is, the grinning half came over to
assure me of their participation in the deal, while the prim-lipped
half produced pens and carefully scratched my name off their lists.

As my wife said, when talking Chinese you should consider not just
what you think you are about to say, but also what you may be about to
say.

People think the Chinese are inscrutable. No hope. Most have a highly
devloped sense of humour, luckily for me.

Cantonese has an estimated eleven tones, depending on whom you're
talking to and where. Most Teach Yourself Chinese books begin by
explaining tones, which is the point where 99% of would-be learners
return to the book store and ask for their money back.

If in doubt, learn Mandarin. A mere four, totally different tones.
The two languages are occasionally mutually intelligible, like English
and Doric (Aberdeenshire Scots).
Renia
OK on Netscape 7 (which uses Mozilla)
The Highlander
Thanks Renia!
Leticia Cluff
2007-11-29 22:23:36 UTC
[Top posting corrected to restore order]
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:30:11 -0000, "D. Spencer Hines"
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Myself, I don't use anything not visible on a standard keyboard, so that
I can be sure everyone will read the stuff the same way I wrote it.
Maybe he just wanted to keep it simple.
Exactly...
A Good Rule...
I've learned over the years not to use other than the standard English
alphabet, in most cases, lest my post wind up garbled on many screens and
the Gentle Readers not be able to read it.
Why is it that some puny men find it so hard to admit a mistake?
Richard Casady comes along and suggests a possible reason why Hines
omitted the circumflex, and Hines leaps gratefully at the chance to
use that as an excuse. Well, his pathetic little lie will be obvious
to anyone. When Hines has attempted to impress us with his French in
the past he has invariably endeavored to use the correct characters
(which work perfectly all right in Google Groups), as when he typed
"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose." He would have been equally
pedantic this time too, had he not screwed the proverbial pooch. And
if he thinks he can fool anyone, he once again confirms his
self-description as "clearly naive, none-too-swift and a damned fool
to boot."

I pity his poor wife, every night as she feels old age creeping on...

Tish
Baldoni <baldoniXXV@gmail.com>
2007-11-30 11:41:09 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
If he has a wife I would be most surprised. What woman would put up
with this addiction of his ?

Inflatable doll with realistic hair I would suggest.
Count Baldoni
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-29 18:36:55 UTC
Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!

DSH
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.
You don't see the circumflex accent when SAYING it. But you do HEAR
the JARRING dissonance of getting the genre [sic] of "âge" wrong.

Mr. Hines belongs to the club of people who like to say things like
"No problemo" to show they know Spanish, or "un âge" for French.

His Latin is no better.
The Highlander
2007-11-30 00:55:09 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.
Hines, whose French is obviously "after the scole of Alabama atte
Dixie" is also clearly unaware that the French only use "une femme
d'un certain âge" to mean "elderly". Something Renia most certainly is
not. Hines in the other hand, would be "un pédale d'un certain âge"
(an elderly pervert) or even a pousse-crotte (push-shit = homosexual)

And while we are on the subject of Athens...

Visitez le musée d'Athène
Vous y verrez le Hines obscène
Voyez le con qui broute le cresson
Autour des rustons du Père Platon!

Visit the Museum of Athens
You will see the obscene Hines there
Watch the wanker grazing the watercress (fellating)
around the testicles of Father Plato.

(adapted from a French Army song).
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-30 05:49:34 UTC
Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!

Deeeeeelightful! As T.R. was wont to say.

Jose Suriol, who hides behind the pseudonym "Tiglath", so his employer won't
know he's wanking on the Internet again -- he's even confessed to wanking,
whenever he get the itch or the yen -- now screws THREE pooches in rapid
succession.

FIRST: He stupidly confuses GENDER with GENRE -- two English words with
ENTIRELY different meanings.

SECOND: He is so pig-ignorant and incompetent in FRENCH he thinks _âge_
[that's _age_ with a circumflex over the _a_ for folks who saw the first
word as garbled] is a FEMININE French noun -- whereas it is a MASCULINE
noun.

THIRD: He stupidly and incompetently tries to CORRECT DSH who had it RIGHT
all along.

Hilarious!

So Pogue Tiglath was:

DEAD WRONG on all three counts.

There's nothing funnier than watching someone on USENET try to CORRECT what
he sees as an ERROR on someone else's part, but get it woefully and stupidly
WRONG himself -- thereby taking a massive PRATFALL HIMSELF, having been
hoist with his own PETAR.

KAWHOMP!!!

KERSPLAT!!!

Victoria, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Enjoy!

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
... HEAR the JARRING dissonance of getting the genre [sic] of "âge" wrong.
Mr. Hines belongs to the club of people who like to say things like
"No problemo" to show they know Spanish, or "un âge" for French.
How Sweet It Is!

D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-30 22:11:51 UTC
Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!

Pogue Tiglath The Wanker screws two MORE small pooches.

He still has severe problems in writing even a short, clean, clear English
sentence. He prefers garbled Spanglish.

Vide infra pro risibus.

Then, not yet satisfied, he screws one more very LARGE pooch.

He still, stupidly -- confusing SPANISH with FRENCH -- thinks that the word
for AGE in FRENCH [age, with a circumflex over the _a_] is a FEMININE noun.

DEAD WRONG!

_age_ [with the circumflex over the _a_] is a MASCULINE noun.

He's in a deep, dark, dank hole of his own making -- and he just keeps on
digging.

"Ay, Caramba!"

How Sweet It Is!

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Tiglath correctly [sic] DSH competently, who...
...Watching someone on Usenet try to correct what he sees an [sic]
incorrect correction that is actually correct.
Peter Jason
2007-12-01 01:57:17 UTC
I missed the beginning of all this, but men
have the same problem.

The above is very common in books, and even
literature.

http://www.google.com.au/search?as_q=&hl=en&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=a+man++of+indeterminate+age&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Undoubtedly refers ot a fellow past that
"first bloom of youth". Between 30 & 50.

So sad.
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-30 15:19:43 UTC
"Cat(h)" <***@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4cd24a3a-d853-416b-8fab-***@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.

Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.

Cat(h)

Bingo!

Pogue Jose Suriol of Barcelona, alias "Tiglath The Wanker", foolishly and
incompetently got his FRENCH confused with his SPANISH -- wherein _LA EDAD_
is, of course, FEMININE -- as in _LA EDAD MEDIA_.

As he also considers himself to be a well-qualified cunning linguist, Pogue
Suriol SHOULD have done far better and avoided this egregious, embarrassing
gaffe...

But he did not.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-30 15:48:05 UTC
Hmmmmmm...

Sounds as if she has a personal agenda interest in the results.

DSH

"Cat(h)" <***@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a9b9f30-54a8-43f7-8ac8-***@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Good boy. Now off you go back to comparing willies.

Cat(h)
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 14:45:29 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Pogue Jose Suriol of Barcelona, alias "Tiglath The Wanker", foolishly and
incompetently got his FRENCH confused with his SPANISH -- wherein _LA EDAD_
is, of course, FEMININE -- as in _LA EDAD MEDIA_.
As he also considers himself to be a well-qualified cunning linguist, Pogue
Suriol SHOULD have done far better and avoided this egregious, embarrassing
gaffe...
But he did not.
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Mr. Hines continues to dangle the same red herring to distract from
"Une femme d'un [sic] certain age"
I told him and keep telling him that "AGE" is a French feminine noun,
which he rebuts with silence or with the red herring that "âge" --
another word, which he didn't use -- is a masculine noun.
I did not correct Mr. Hines' use of "âge" simply because HE DIDN'T USE
IT.
Not even an experienced dissembler like Mr. Hines can cloud the
crystalline clarity of that truth.
Mr. Hines's fallen and can't get up.
So what does age (feminine noun without accent circonflexe) mean in
French then?

Cat(h)
The Highlander
2007-12-01 18:29:02 UTC
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 14:45:29 +0000, "Cat(h)"
Post by Cat(h)
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Pogue Jose Suriol of Barcelona, alias "Tiglath The Wanker", foolishly and
incompetently got his FRENCH confused with his SPANISH -- wherein _LA EDAD_
is, of course, FEMININE -- as in _LA EDAD MEDIA_.
As he also considers himself to be a well-qualified cunning linguist, Pogue
Suriol SHOULD have done far better and avoided this egregious, embarrassing
gaffe...
But he did not.
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Mr. Hines continues to dangle the same red herring to distract from
"Une femme d'un [sic] certain age"
I told him and keep telling him that "AGE" is a French feminine noun,
AGE is NOT a French feminine noun. Age, with or without circumflex is
always a masculine noun. Not difficult to remember as the word Age,
with or without circumflex only appears twice in the French language.
What we have here are two people trying to out-bluff each other;
neither of whom has any real competence in the French language.
Post by Cat(h)
which he rebuts with silence or with the red herring that "âge" --
another word, which he didn't use -- is a masculine noun.
I did not correct Mr. Hines' use of "âge" simply because HE DIDN'T USE
IT.
Not even an experienced dissembler like Mr. Hines can cloud the
crystalline clarity of that truth.
Mr. Hines's fallen and can't get up.
So what does age (feminine noun without accent circonflexe) mean in
French then?
Cat(h)
"Age" (without circumflex) means a plough beam, the part of a plough
that extends forward and often has a wheel attached to keep the plough
from veering off the line of the furrow being ploughed. In my
childhood when ploughs were pulled by Clydesdale horses it was usually
made of oak for strength. but on modern ploughs it is made of steel.

In this picture, (see URL below) the part extending to the right is
the plough beam. (For whatever reason, the guiding wheel at the end is
missing)

.
In French a plough beam it is called "age" with no circumflex and is
masculine. "Âge", with a circumflex is also masculine, as in "d'un
âge" - "of an age", despite any of the nonsense you may read above.

"d'un certain âge" which Hines is trying to inflate into some sort of
sexual connotation is merely a polite way of suggesting that a lady is
elderly; a pensioner, someone in later life, without being so rude as
to pinpointpoint a specific age, which no lady who has reached the age
of 39 (and holding) wishes to have bandied about.

If there is one thing that Hines has made clear, it is that politeness
and good manners have formed no part of his upbringing. Indeed, had it
not been for his father pulling strings to find him a job, it is quite
likely that Hines might have embarked on a career of pleasuring
elderly ladies in exchange for cash presents.

The man is completely beyond the pale and no doubt leans heavily on
his title of Commander in order to create the spurious suggestion that
he is someone of worth, a self-described officer and gentleman at the
very least.

In particular, his grotesque attempts to associate himself with some
of Britain's leading familes has been the subject of quiet mirth and
contempt in SCS.

Posters who have the misfortune to know Hines even better than we have
been forced to, have alleged that the Hines family first rose to
prominence as keepers of a brothel in Alabama, and while some of
Britain's tarts and sleazy characters like Nell Gwynn may have been
able to use a dubious background to their advantage, in Hine's case it
has been a dismal failure.

If Hines were English, then I would have no hesitation in placing him
squarely in the lower middle class segment of England's caste system.
The man is as common as dirt; a buffoon on the make, the sort of
dubious instant friend in bars who knows of a goldmine for sale at a
very low price; who is an expert at manipulating cards in the scam of
"Find the Lady" and whose reputation consists almost entirely of being
the most disliked and disagreeable troll on Usenet.

Not a suitable guest for your dinner parties, I would suggest, unless
you have a taste for accepting help in carrying out the used dishes so
that an indecent proposal can be made to you in the kitchen without
your husband overhearing.

The only positive idea that Hines has inspired in my mind to date is
that there is very probably a profitable market for a repellent spray
called "Down David!" for use at parties and other occasions when a
lady might be caught in compromising circumstances.

LOL!
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 19:03:53 UTC
http://pilgrim.ceredigion.gov.uk/media/images/2/b/21612.jpg
.
In French a plough beam it is called "age" with no circumflex and is
masculine. "Âge", with a circumflex is also masculine, as in "d'un
âge" - "of an age", despite any of the nonsense you may read above.
"d'un certain âge" which Hines is trying to inflate into some sort of
sexual connotation is merely a polite way of suggesting that a lady is
elderly; a pensioner, someone in later life, without being so rude as
to pinpointpoint a specific age, which no lady who has reached the age
of 39 (and holding) wishes to have bandied about.
My, my. I really ought to spend more time on SCI learning foreign
languages.

Cat(h)
Bryn
2007-12-01 19:21:51 UTC
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
[...]
SCS actually. We're very pernickety... *#:-]
Bryn

The Republican Party: Our Bridge to the 11th Century.
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 19:46:45 UTC
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 19:21:51 +0000, Bryn
Post by Bryn
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
[...]
Gasp! Apparently, I am also learning French on British historical,
military naval and medieval newsgroups.
Who would have thunk it!

Cat(h)
Gregory
2007-12-01 20:47:23 UTC
Post by Bryn
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
[...]
I thought you were French?

G.
Renia
Non. Elle apprendre francais.
Bryn
2007-12-01 21:19:29 UTC
Post by Bryn
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
[...]
Somebody must be trimming the newsgroups...
--
Fields, mountains
of Hubaku, in

Bashõ
Renia
Qui?
Renia
2007-12-01 23:59:59 UTC
Post by Bryn
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
[...]
Well, everybody. c'est possible que nous tout peut apprendre. Please
explain to me how le mot "age" can be anything other than masculine,
regardless of circomflex.
Renia
2007-12-01 23:48:21 UTC
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
[...]
Etes-vous Francaise? (Bugger the circonflex. Take too long to find it.
But, hang on. In the olden days (60s) we were told not to put the
circonflex on Capital Letters. Nowadays, all over La France, je trouve
le cironflex tous le monde!
Richard Casady
2007-12-01 19:22:08 UTC
Post by The Highlander
In my
childhood when ploughs were pulled by Clydesdale horses it was usually
made of oak for strength. but on modern ploughs it is made of steel.
It is common to apply 15, or more, HP to one plough. They built it, of
strong enough oak, for cheap. For equal strength, steel is lighter
than wood, but it might well cost more. I have run a plough, by the
way.

Casady
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 21:26:10 UTC
Yes...

The Highlander is quite right here.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Bryn
2007-12-01 22:08:44 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Yes...
The Highlander is quite right here.
DSH
You would say that...
Go to
http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/dictionary/
and type "age"
You will see at the top of the entry.
1 AGE Noun, feminine (a) (assemblée générale extraordinaire)
In addition, in chemistry, "age" means "analyse des gaz émis"
also a feminine noun.
Most importantly is that to start this thread Mr. Hines wrote a piece
of BAD FRENCH
"Une femme d'un certain age"
And since several posters called him on it, he has thrashed about like
a carp in a bucket.
When will you admit that what you wrote was DEAD WRONG, Mr. Hines?
A simple "Pardon my French" will do.
When will you have the BALLS to admit a CLEAR mistake and humbly
recognize that you need to work extra hard to free your tired mind
from the clutter of error?
When?
Nusquam tantum tribuitur aetati, nusqaum senectus est honoratior...
is maairg a dh'iarradh an aois
Renia
Eff orf. That's Latinicus. We're discussing francais.
Bryn
2007-12-02 09:31:04 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Bryn
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Oh! Buggarit!

(Filthy Old Ron)
--
Mirroring each other:
white narcissi,

Bashõ
Bryn
2007-12-02 09:22:42 UTC
On Dec 1, 5:08 pm, Bryn <Scotland-the-
Post by Bryn
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
You mean, Nusquam enim tantum tribuitur aetati, nusquam senectus est
honoratior?
Unlike Usenet Sparta didn't tolerate old fools
Listen here young Tigger.... Croak!
--
Bryn

"Oh!" said Pooh, and tried to make it sound Sad and Regretful.
"I thought they liked everything."
"Everything except honey," said Tigger.
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 22:15:31 UTC
Hilarious!

Pogue Tiglath attempts to throw out absurd red herrings....

But the hounds are nipping at his thoroughly bruised, bleeding and lacerated
tail.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Post by The Highlander
AGE is NOT a French feminine noun.
You would say that...

Go to

http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/dictionary/

and type "age"

You will see at the top of the entry.

1 AGE Noun, feminine (a) (assemblée générale extraordinaire)

In addition, in chemistry, "age" means "analyse des gaz émis"

also a feminine noun.

Most importantly is that to start this thread Mr. Hines wrote a piece
of BAD FRENCH

This:

"Une femme d'un certain age"
Renia
2007-12-02 00:09:19 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Hilarious!
Pogue Tiglath attempts to throw out absurd red herrings....
But the hounds are nipping at his thoroughly bruised, bleeding and lacerated
tail.
Mon amour. Mon vraimont amour. Qu'est que tu dit?

J'aime bien les chiens. C'est merveilleux, main je pense que tu ne
comprends pas un mot que nous disons.
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-02 00:37:29 UTC
<G>

Je t'aime.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Renia
2007-12-02 00:56:32 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
<G>
Je t'aime.
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Post by Renia
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Hilarious!
Pogue Tiglath attempts to throw out absurd red herrings....
But the hounds are nipping at his thoroughly bruised, bleeding and
lacerated tail.
Mon amour. Mon vraimont amour. Qu'est que tu dit?
J'aime bien les chiens. C'est merveilleux, main je pense que tu ne
comprends pas un mot que nous disons.
Non, c'est ne pas vrai. Tu ne m'aime pas. Si tu m'aime, tu jamais peut
ecrire les choses que tu ecrit.
Renia
2007-12-02 01:01:51 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Hilarious!
Pogue Tiglath attempts to throw out absurd red herrings....
But the hounds are nipping at his thoroughly bruised, bleeding and lacerated
tail.
Mon amour. Mon vraimont amour. Qu'est que tu dit?
J'aime bien les chiens. C'est merveilleux, main je pense que tu ne
comprends pas un mot que nous disons.
Rien spécial. A mauvais faux pas de Monsieur Hines, et Il délire
complètement!
He is trying to teach me French now right after putting his big holey
foot in it.
Instead of apologizing for his mistake like a decent human being, he
sallies forth in didactic mode.
Great fun.
He has probably forgotten the first and last time he sought to
instruct me in his native language.
Yes, some eight years ago, Mr. Hines "helped" me with my poor, non-
native English and gave me this rule.
"Animates: people, dogs, birds, cats 'sit.'
Inanimates: houses, plates, books, glasses 'set.'"
Ah, oui! Je n'ai oublie pas. Ah! Le computer de Monsieur Hines avec le
dictionnaire qui etait "set" sur la table.

Yes, Hines's book was "set" on the table, pretentious git. And now he
tells me he loves me. Mon amour, DSH, I pray, please treat me with the
truest of chivalry.

Coo! Ladies! Who would you choose for your undying love?

DSH?

Tiglath?

Je connais q'est la veritee.

Browns says it all.
Renia
Pourquoi, mon amour?
Renia
2007-12-02 02:38:28 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Renia
Post by Renia
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Le doute m'assaille.
Jamais. Je n'ai pas de doute. Ne me doutes pas. Tu est mon vrai amour,
pas l'autre.
Renia
2007-12-02 00:03:57 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Yes...
The Highlander is quite right here.
Vraimant? C'est encroyable!
Post by D. Spencer Hines
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Renia
2007-12-01 23:41:29 UTC
Post by Cat(h)
[...]
..
[...]
Far too bloomin' complex.

Age is a masculine noun. (Add circunflex if you wish)

Je suis une femme d'un age certain. Je suis jeunne dans ma jeux de vivre
mais je suis une dame qui n'est pas si jeune et aussi pas si vielle.
Tous que je connais, est, que j'aime bien ma vie!
Renia
2007-12-02 00:01:28 UTC
Post by The Highlander
I told him and keep telling him that "AGE" is a French feminine noun,
AGE is NOT a French feminine noun.
It certainly is. It's short for assemblée générale extraordinaire.
I gave a dictionary reference to it. Argue with it.
Aw, cummon, Tiggy my darling sweet. Nobody was talking about acronyms.

Age, c'est un nom masculin.
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 18:46:57 UTC
Post by Cat(h)
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
It's short for "assemblée générale extraordinaire." And it's a
feminine noun.
The noun Mr. Hines WROTE, nonsensically.
With that crass error on his recent record he still tries to show off
his language skills and infallibility. It is to laugh.
I think he should have the good grace to recognise that he is beaten
in that department, hands down.

Cat(h)
Renia
Qui?
Westprog
2007-11-30 16:38:20 UTC
Cat(h) wrote:
Post by D. Spencer Hines
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?

Cat(h)

Cat(h)
Westprog
2007-12-01 17:48:52 UTC
Post by Cat(h)
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
God knows.
You didn't even know that age means "assemblée générale extraordinaire."
All in lower case as well!

Cat(h)
2007-12-01 18:49:53 UTC
Post by Westprog
Post by Cat(h)
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
God knows.
You didn't even know that age means "assemblée générale extraordinaire."
All in lower case as well!
Une femme d'une certaine assemblée générale annuelle.

Yes, it does have a certain ring about it.

Cat(h)
Renia
Oui, c'est vrai. Mais l'age est toujours masculin.
The Highlander
2007-12-01 18:34:24 UTC
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
A good knowledge of French, apparently, demonstrating the advantages
of having paid attention during French lessons at school.

What qualifies you to call Cat(h) on this matter, other than an
apparently irresistible urge to draw attention to youself?
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 18:50:59 UTC
Post by The Highlander
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
A good knowledge of French, apparently, demonstrating the advantages
of having paid attention during French lessons at school.
What qualifies you to call Cat(h) on this matter, other than an
apparently irresistible urge to draw attention to youself?
The man is a show off. He just can't help it. He's more to be pitied
than blamed, really.

Cat(h)
Westprog
2007-12-01 19:12:36 UTC
Cat(h) wrote:
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
Post by Westprog
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
A good knowledge of French, apparently, demonstrating the advantages
of having paid attention during French lessons at school.
What qualifies you to call Cat(h) on this matter, other than an
apparently irresistible urge to draw attention to youself?
The man is a show off. He just can't help it. He's more to be pitied
than blamed, really.
You're the one boasting about those French lessons you got in school.

Renia
Tous les hommes méritent notre pitié.
Gregory
2007-12-02 02:18:14 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
A good knowledge of French, apparently, demonstrating the advantages
of having paid attention during French lessons at school.
What qualifies you to call Cat(h) on this matter, other than an
apparently irresistible urge to draw attention to youself?
The man is a show off. He just can't help it. He's more to be pitied
than blamed, really.
Tous les hommes méritent notre pitié.
I got lots of girl-pity in Paris.

I use to pay people to do paintings for me. I would then damage them up
a bit and throw them around my studio.

I would then do an emotive angst tearful hopeless thing by telling girls
the truth "I have no talent".

It worked so well I took it into the open air.

I adored Paris.

G.
Renia
2007-12-02 02:35:32 UTC
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Me to. It's a wonderful place.

Way, way back, I was having café in the Place du Tetre with my mother,
when a beautiful young man declared he wanted to do my portrait. The
place was full of assorted young men and women doing portaits for
francs, so it was no big deal. It was our last day, and we weren't too
interested so we told him we had no money, and hoped he would go away.

"But your bones!, he declared. "I will draw you for nothing."

For five hours, we sat in a coffee bar while he created my portrait in
charcoals, for no fee whatsoever. Two men playing chess nearby declared:
"Ah, mais elle est une femme fatale!".

I still have the portrait, dated 21st November 1971, by Daniel Agostini,
who claimed to have been taught by or was acquainted with Picasso. He
told us he did the Swiss ski slopes in winter and Paris in the summer.
It sounded so romantic.

The strange thing about the portrait, is I grew to look like it. It was
as if he saw 20 years in the future and not the 19-year-old girl.

Ah, yes. I love Paris.
Gregory
2007-12-02 02:53:55 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Cat(h)
Post by The Highlander
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
who claimed to have been . He
told us he did the Swiss ski slopes in winter and Paris in the summer.
It sounded so romantic.
The strange thing about the portrait, is I grew to look like it. It was
as if he saw 20 years in the future and not the 19-year-old girl.
Ah, yes. I love Paris.
That is a nice story. I also did ski slopes. It was a money thing.

I was too shy to approach girls I really liked. I expected them to
approach me. I spent years sitting decoratively on motorcycles.

Was Mr. Agostini from Barcelona?

G.
Renia
2007-12-02 03:15:48 UTC
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Cat(h)
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:38:20 -0000, "Westprog"
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Agostini, who claimed to have been . He told us he did the Swiss ski
slopes in winter and Paris in the summer. It sounded so romantic.
The strange thing about the portrait, is I grew to look like it. It
was as if he saw 20 years in the future and not the 19-year-old girl.
Ah, yes. I love Paris.
That is a nice story. I also did ski slopes. It was a money thing.
I was too shy to approach girls I really liked. I expected them to
approach me. I spent years sitting decoratively on motorcycles.
Was Mr. Agostini from Barcelona?
Ooh, I snipped a bit of my own post. He claimed to have been taught by
or was associated with Picasso.

Agostini was French, so I don't think he was from Barcelona, but the
supposed Picasso connection . . . ?

Why do you ask?

And you, sitting there expecting girls to approach you. We NEVER did
that. Too fast! We girls used to sit there praying you would approach US!
Gregory
2007-12-02 03:38:51 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Westprog
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
I was in the Warhol camp.
Post by Renia
And you, sitting there expecting girls to approach you. We NEVER did
that. Too fast! We girls used to sit there praying you would approach US!
I would smile, I was more of a picture postcard.

By the time I was 17, the only long-term relationship I had was with
heroin. I was good at smiling though. I was a nice person.

I pretended to be scary.

G.
Renia
2007-12-02 03:40:14 UTC
Post by Gregory
By the time I was 17, the only long-term relationship I had was with
heroin. I was good at smiling though. I was a nice person.
I pretended to be scary.
You sound like a nice person. I hope your early long-term relationship
is long over.
Gregory
2007-12-02 03:44:39 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
By the time I was 17, the only long-term relationship I had was with
heroin. I was good at smiling though. I was a nice person.
I pretended to be scary.
You sound like a nice person. I hope your early long-term relationship
is long over.
I still dream about it. High school sweethearts are like that.

G.
Turlough
2007-12-01 18:53:02 UTC
Post by The Highlander
Post by Westprog
What qualifies you to pontificate on this matter?
A good knowledge of French, apparently, demonstrating the advantages
of having paid attention during French lessons at school.
What qualifies you to call Cat(h) on this matter, other than an
apparently irresistible urge to draw attention to youself?
It was hysterical irony, Highlander. I chuckled at Westprog's brazen
query, because SCI'ers know quite well that Cat(h) is a transplanted
French lady living in Erie. She is also the social secretary for the
infamous Cuddle Club, a group of bon vivants that rig local elections
and advise Bertie Ahern on fashion accessories...
Renia
J'ai peur que la Cat(h) a fit un erreur.
Gregory
2007-12-01 14:09:24 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.
You don't see the circumflex accent when SAYING it. But you do HEAR
the JARRING dissonance of getting the genre of "âge" wrong.
The 2CV, ageless or just a viable Trabant?
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 14:43:07 UTC
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 14:09:24 GMT, Gregory
Post by Gregory
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Post by D. Spencer Hines
"Une femme d'un certain age" ---- as the French are fond of saying.
"Une femme d'un certain âge" ---- as the French are fond of writing
with a circumflex.
You don't see the circumflex accent when SAYING it. But you do HEAR
the JARRING dissonance of getting the genre of "âge" wrong.
Mr. Hines belongs to the club of people who like to say things like
"No problemo" to show they know Spanish, or "un âge" for French.
FWIW, without wanting to do much more than barge into this elevated
debate on linguistics, un âge is correct in French.
Une femme (ou un homme, d'ailleurs!) d'un certain âge, is a correct
and established expression.
Cat(h)
The 2CV, ageless or just a viable Trabant?
Don't get me started. I shared my (college) life with one. It has
its merits. I'm told. And many, many downsides when you're
travelling 200 km in a snow blizzard.

Cat(h)
Gregory
I just love them.
Bryn
2007-12-01 19:34:26 UTC
Post by Gregory
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Not for nothing is it called the Tin Snail.

I had a friend who actually TORE one with his bare hands, half way up
the back. It was new too. This poor French guy parked it on a hill, the
hand brake cable snapped and it rolled backwards into a bollard. We
helped him get it back on the road and in gear. It was then that friend
noticed the dent in the rear wing and attempting to straighten it, made
the tear. The owner gave one of those Gallic shrugs and checked the
petrol, the gauge appeared to be a metal hook with a bit of Lino
attached. He commented that he would have checked the oil but two days
previously the dip stick had fallen into the oil sump and was
unrecoverable.

I must say we were very impressed.

I am trying to recall if it had one or two headlights. I think, just the
one.
--
Bryn

Birds of a feather flock together
and crap on your car.
Cat(h)
2007-12-01 19:56:58 UTC
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 19:34:26 +0000, Bryn
Post by Bryn
Post by Cat(h)
Post by Gregory
The 2CV, ageless or just a viable Trabant?
Don't get me started. I shared my (college) life with one. It has
its merits. I'm told. And many, many downsides when you're
travelling 200 km in a snow blizzard.
Cat(h)
Not for nothing is it called the Tin Snail.
My German mates used to call it die Ente (the duck), and stick those
jolly yellow rubber duckie stickers on their 2cvs' arses.
Post by Bryn
I had a friend who actually TORE one with his bare hands, half way up
the back. It was new too. This poor French guy parked it on a hill, the
hand brake cable snapped and it rolled backwards into a bollard. We
helped him get it back on the road and in gear. It was then that friend
noticed the dent in the rear wing and attempting to straighten it, made
the tear. The owner gave one of those Gallic shrugs and checked the
petrol, the gauge appeared to be a metal hook with a bit of Lino
attached. He commented that he would have checked the oil but two days
previously the dip stick had fallen into the oil sump and was
unrecoverable.
I must say we were very impressed.
I am trying to recall if it had one or two headlights. I think, just the
one.
To be fair, it is almost un-upsidedowneable (you see, I'm innovating
in English as well as learning French). Something to do with a very
low centre of gravity. It is also good on bad terrain - quite the 4
by 4 on snowy mountain roads, muck and ice. It rarely breaks down,
and is mostly repairable with bits of coat hangers and wooden laundry
pegs, and it practically runs on thin air - which is just as well,
because the tank contains feck all. It will also keep your biceps in
tip-top body builder shape seen as you provide the powersteering.
On the down side,it has bugger all heating apart from whatever the
engine generates and gets wafted back into the car, just a fraction
more protection around the driver than the average motorbike ridden
helmetless, and windscreen wipers which were really meant to operate
on spectacles.

It does look kind of cute, if you have never had to drive one. But on
the beautiful Citroen (tell whathisface to come over here and give me
a trema pronto, can't be arsed to change my keyboard settings right
now) theme, my fav car is the DS. Now, that was a smooth machine. My
Dad used to drive one, and I used to get seasick in it, but it does
look only fabulous.

Cat(h)
Gregory
2007-12-01 20:46:17 UTC
Post by Bryn
Post by Bryn
[...]
It is good at high altitudes, Atlas mountains etc.

http://www.laboheme.com/2cvhistory.html

http://www.citroen.com/CWW/en-US/HISTORY/LegendaryAndClassical/2CV/2CV_1/19072006_2CV_PART1.htm

The vans were the most beautiful cars of all time.

The 2CV was the last word in whatever it actually was.

G.
Richard Casady
2007-12-01 21:01:10 UTC
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:46:17 GMT, Gregory
Post by Gregory
The 2CV was the last word in whatever it actually was.
Shitbox, you mean?

Casady
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 21:16:38 UTC
Look at the Lexus and Toyota cars.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
William Black
2007-12-02 09:51:09 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
Look at the Lexus and Toyota cars.
An expensive way of buying a mobile armchair that won't carry much luggage.

Toyota do some nice pick-ups and oversized overblown 4x4s with antiquated
suspension systems.

Lexus' are fine for disabled people as the doors open very wide.
--
William Black

Time for tea.
Renia
2007-12-01 23:36:50 UTC
Nah. Lamborghinis. They're the must-have car.
Gregory
Nah, too gay.
Renia

I thought that was the benefice of the Smart Car.
Gregory
2007-12-02 01:47:53 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Gregory
The 2CV was the last word in whatever it actually was.
Shitbox, you mean?
Nah. Lamborghinis. They're the must-have car.
Nah, too gay.
Wot? Pink?
I thought that was the benefice of the Smart Car.
If we are talking synthetic narcotics, dikes are pink. Dipipanone
hydrochloride was available in pink and was a bit of a bang.

It wasn't exactly gay, that was more of a physeptone ampoule squirted
into a double bacardi, a bare-assed kind of mixer.

I can't handle ecclesiastical terms as well as I use to and the benefice
of the Smart Car has me struggling a little.

let me look it up!

I have just been to the Smart Car web-site.

It is surely very girlie.

Yup, a buzz bubble.

For boys

G.
Renia
2007-12-02 02:14:51 UTC
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Gregory
The 2CV was the last word in whatever it actually was.
Shitbox, you mean?
Nah. Lamborghinis. They're the must-have car.
Nah, too gay.
Wot? Pink?
I thought that was the benefice of the Smart Car.
If we are talking synthetic narcotics, dikes are pink. Dipipanone
hydrochloride was available in pink and was a bit of a bang.
I don't know WHAT you're talking about.
Post by Gregory
It wasn't exactly gay, that was more of a physeptone ampoule squirted
into a double bacardi, a bare-assed kind of mixer.
I can't handle ecclesiastical terms as well as I use to and the benefice
of the Smart Car has me struggling a little.
let me look it up!
I have just been to the Smart Car web-site.
It is surely very girlie.
Yup, a buzz bubble.
For boys
Here in Greece, they're very handy for parking. They're like handbags on
wheels but not at all gay.

In Brighton, though, they're considered very pink.
Gregory
2007-12-02 02:30:31 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Gregory
It wasn't exactly gay, that was more of a physeptone ampoule squirted
into a double bacardi, a bare-assed kind of mixer.
I can't handle ecclesiastical terms as well as I use to and the
benefice of the Smart Car has me struggling a little.
let me look it up!
I have just been to the Smart Car web-site.
It is surely very girlie.
Yup, a buzz bubble.
For boys
Here in Greece, they're very handy for parking. They're like handbags on
wheels but not at all gay.
In Brighton, though, they're considered very pink.
I don't do Brighton any more. I fell out with the entire town.

I use to do gay tantrums in east Berlin. I thought somebody should make
the effort. I called myself Yvette Döll.

I organized tunnel parties, bring your own spade etc. Eventually the
STASI had enough and made me into a tortured artist.

I will spare you the details.

G.
Renia
2007-12-02 02:39:45 UTC
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
I have just been to the Smart Car web-site.
It is surely very girlie.
Yup, a buzz bubble.
For boys
Here in Greece, they're very handy for parking. They're like handbags
on wheels but not at all gay.
In Brighton, though, they're considered very pink.
I don't do Brighton any more. I fell out with the entire town.
Me too. I moved to Greece.
You seem to have given me most of them! :-)
Gregory
2007-12-02 03:11:59 UTC
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
I have just been to the Smart Car web-site.
It is surely very girlie.
Yup, a buzz bubble.
For boys
Here in Greece, they're very handy for parking. They're like handbags
on wheels but not at all gay.
In Brighton, though, they're considered very pink.
I don't do Brighton any more. I fell out with the entire town.
Me too. I moved to Greece.
The town attracted ultra-radicals from South London in the era of gay
liberation. The meek & the kind were forced out.
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
I use to do gay tantrums in east Berlin. I thought somebody should
make the effort. I called myself Yvette Döll.
I organized tunnel parties, bring your own spade etc. Eventually the
STASI had enough and made me into a tortured artist.
I will spare you the details.
You seem to have given me most of them! :-)
The STASI quite liked me. I was deceptively wild & I liked money.

I was young.

G.
Renia
2007-12-02 03:17:03 UTC
Post by Gregory
Post by Renia
Post by Gregory
I don't do Brighton any more. I fell out with the entire town.
Me too. I moved to Greece.
The town attracted ultra-radicals from South London in the era of gay
liberation. The meek & the kind were forced out.
Sarf London and the rest of the planet! Talk about cosmopolitan. The
world writ small. By the sea.
Eric Stevens
2007-12-02 00:30:58 UTC
Post by Gregory
The 2CV was the last word in whatever it actually was.
Shitbox, you mean?
Nah. Lamborghinis. They're the must-have car.
Naah! Those tractor-manufacturer's dreams are not even in the hunt.

How about
http://www.bobmastersphotography.com/english/car%20pages/bugtroyl.html

Eric Stevens
Renia
2007-12-02 00:54:51 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Gregory
The 2CV was the last word in whatever it actually was.
Shitbox, you mean?
Nah. Lamborghinis. They're the must-have car.
Naah! Those tractor-manufacturer's dreams are not even in the hunt.
How about
http://www.bobmastersphotography.com/english/car%20pages/bugtroyl.html
Don't give me URLs I have to click on. Don't you know my time is even
more valuable than yours is? What car do you fancy, then?
Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens
D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-30 14:18:04 UTC
Recte:

Hilarius Magnus Cum Laude!

Deeeeeelightful! As T.R. was wont to say.

Jose Suriol, who hides behind the pseudonym "Tiglath", so his employer won't
know he's wanking on the Internet again -- he's even confessed to wanking,
whenever he gets the itch or the yen -- now screws THREE pooches in rapid

D. Spencer Hines
2007-11-30 22:07:22 UTC
William Safire, the Chief Language Maven for The New York Times [AND his
editor/s] ALSO screwed the pooch on this one -- in an otherwise quite
interesting and informative article. Vide infra.

Further, we note with amusement that Pogue Tiglath The Wanker is NOW
offering up the lame implication that since he is not "RETIRED" he cannot
make sure what he posts is correct before he posts it -- hence his
continuing entertaining gaffes and pratfalls.

Hilarious!

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE4D61539F931A35754C0A963958260>

July 2, 1995

IN LANGUAGE; A Woman of a Certain Age

By WILLIAM SAFIRE

The New York Times

HOW OLD IS A woman of a certain age?

Only a Nosy Parker* would try to find out. But the expression is becoming
androgynous, and the age seems to be creeping upward.

Safire and his editor/s get THAT wrong too. It's NOSEY PARKER, among the
cognoscenti. Only the pognoscenti spell it "nosy". -- DSH

Sidney Wade, a woman who lives in Gainesville, Fla., reports that she was
complaining to a friend, Debora Greger, about a loss of hair: "My friend
remarked that we, as women of a certain age, were prone to a number of
peculiar developments. At first I was surprised by her use of the phrase to
describe us (we are mildly ripening), remembering it from my more youthful
days in France as an insulting kind of polite elocution but one that remains
rather wonderful and precise."

Correct. -- DSH

Then Ms. Wade was stunned to see a headline in The New York Times "3
Explorers of a Certain Age, Scaling Mountains and More" about three men in
their 80's. "Reeling, I reported this to Debora, who supposes that the
phrase itself seems to have developed a pronounced middle-aged spread. Is
this so? I hope not."

The phrase, in English, can be cited to 1754: "I could not help wishing,"
wrote an anonymous essayist in Connoisseur magazine, "that some middle term
was invented between Miss and Mrs. to be adopted, at a certain age, by all
females not inclined to matrimony." (This was two centuries pre-Ms.)

The certain age suggested spinsterhood; the poet Byron in 1817 wrote, "She
was not old, nor young, nor at the years/Which certain people call a certain
age,/Which yet the most uncertain age appears." Five years later, in a
grumpier mood, he returned to the phrase: "A lady of a 'certain age,' which
means Certainly aged." Charles Dickens picked it up in "Barnaby Rudge": "A
very old house, perhaps as old as it claimed to be, and perhaps older, which
will sometimes happen with houses of an uncertain, as with ladies of a
certain, age."

The Oxford English Dictionary defined that sense of certain as "which it is
not polite or necessary further to define." That was the sense meant by
William Dean Howells when he wrote of "gentlemen approaching a certain
weight." The special sense reverses the literal meaning of the word
certain, which is "fixed, definite" (much as "I could care less" means "I
could not care less").

Yes. Well Stated. -- DSH

The phrase was repopularized in a 1979 book by the psychotherapist Lillian
B. Rubin, "Women of a Certain Age: The Midlife Search for Self," in which
midlife spanned 35 to 54.

Renia Simmonds, our Brit expatriatrix in Athens, will be 55 on 14
December. -- DSH

So, she is definitely "a woman of a certain age" and beyond -- according to
the new, extended age span. -- DSH

Reached in San Francisco, Dr. Rubin, whose book indicates she is now in her
early 70's, was surprised to learn of the long English history of the phase
[sic] because "it has a long history in French, where it refers to women of
fortyish and thereabouts who are able to initiate boys and young men into
the beauties of sexual encounters. The early use in English seems to be
about spinsterhood, but the French meaning has nothing to do with marriage."

Indeed. The Older Woman teaching the Younger Man about Sex. -- DSH

In French, the phrase has erotically or sexually charged overtones. "It
comes from a society where sexuality is freer," Dr. Rubin notes, "and more
understood as an important part of human life."

<G> -- DSH

The phrase in French is _femmes d'une certaine age_*. The term, however, can
apply to either sex. Without the certain, the phrase _un homme d'un age_
translates literally as "a man of an age" and is defined in the
Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary as "a man of advanced years."

As we see, The Mighty New York Times ALSO confuses a MASCULINE noun for a
FEMININE noun. So, both Safire and his editor/editors royally screwed the
pooch on this one. -- DSH

And now to the point: is that certain age getting older?

"When I wrote the book in 1979," Dr. Rubin says, "the 'women of a certain
age' were in their late 30's and early 40's. I think that has changed with
the baby boomers and the lengthening of the life span. I'd say the 'certain
age' has now moved to the age of 50 or 55."

Look at it this way: late 30's or early 40's is no longer that "certain"
age; it's moved up a decade. The good news is that 40 is still young, at
least linguistically. That's how it seems to a language maven of a certain
weight and getting long in the tooth.

But short in the knowledge of the GENDER of FRENCH NOUNS. -- DSH

Which brings us to long in the tooth, which I used in a political column in
an unkind reference to vigorous Senator Bob Dole. (The first user was
William Makepeace Thackeray in an 1852 novel: "She was lean, and yellow, and
long in the tooth; all the red and white in all the toyshops of London could
not make a beauty of her.") In my piece, I was impelled by wordmavenhood to
give the derivation of the expression: "As horses age, their gums recede,
making their teeth appear longer." My source was the Oxford English
Dictionary: "displaying the roots of the teeth owing to the recession of the
gums with increasing age; hence gen., old."

This folk wisdom about the illusion of tooth-lengthening was promptly
challenged by Michael Brisbane McCrary, former Hong Kong polo player and now
a squire in Hunter, N.Y.: "Horses actually do get 'long in the tooth.' It is
not receding gums; their teeth continue to grow out (like beavers, and there
is a word for it beginning with 'ex-') throughout their lives until the
teeth actually fall out."

Mr. McCrary (his wife is Jane Buckle; her long-panted-for book, "How to
Massage Your Dog," is scheduled for publication this fall) continues: "The
growth of the horses' teeth is required because they would wear down in the
process of eating in a natural setting. As the teeth grow out, lines show;
this is how one usually tells the age of a horse. And this is the background
to the phrase 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'; i.e., if it is a gift,
don't ask how old it is."

That moved me to call the National Zoo. I don't call the Bronx Zoo anymore;
any zoo that calls itself a "wildlife center" cannot be trusted.

Quite Right. -- DSH

(A spokesman at our national zoological park, Mike Morgan, remembered me as
the one who revealed the reason that pandas have reduplicating names like
Ling-Ling and Hsing-Hsing they can't hear well and zoo keepers have to call
them twice.) ******

<G> -- DSH

It seems that Mr. McCrary could be right and all of us lexicographers could
be wrong. "As horses age," noted Dr. Richard Montali, one of the National
Zoo's veterinarians, "their teeth actually do continue to grow for some
time. The incisors appear to look longer, but it's mainly because the angle
of the teeth changes. Instead of perpendicular growth, the teeth angle out
as they grow and wear."

Maybe the gums recede a little as the growing teeth angle out; that's why
horses' teeth reveal their age. As a result of receiving this new
information, and with deference to animal rights groups, I will no longer
refer to old horses as being long in the tooth. They are horses of a certain
age.

Hmmmmmmm... Yes, like Renia.

Indeed.

Long in the tooth and of a certain age.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Custos Custodum
Have you informed the OED of their egregious error?
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 02:23:56 UTC
William Safire in The New York Times Magazine.

<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE4D61539F931A35754C0A963958260>

July 2, 1995

[...]

The phrase in French is _femmes d'une certaine age_*. The term, however, can
apply to either sex. Without the certain, the phrase _un homme d'un age_
translates literally as "a man of an age" and is defined in the
Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary as "a man of advanced years."

[...]

As we see, The Mighty New York Times ALSO confuses a MASCULINE noun with a
FEMININE noun. So, both Safire and his editor/editors royally screwed the
pooch on this one -- as did Jose Suriol -- Pogie Tiglath.

D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 07:33:57 UTC
"Mr. Hines belongs to the club of people who like to say things like "No
problemo" to show they know Spanish, or "un âge" for French."

Pogue Tiglath -- AKA Jose Suriol

Yep...

He wrote that ---- wrongly thinking he was writing about a FEMININE noun.

Hilarious!

Now he's trying to run away from it....

And digging himself a deeper hole hourly.

D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 07:38:27 UTC
William Safire in The New York Times Magazine.

<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE4D61539F931A35754C0A963958260>

July 2, 1995

[...]

The phrase in French is _femmes d'une certaine age_*. The term, however, can
apply to either sex. Without the certain, the phrase _un homme d'un age_
translates literally as "a man of an age" and is defined in the
Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary as "a man of advanced years."

[...]

No circumflexes, of course...The New York Times, Richard Casady and I are
all correct, as to style, on that score. Vide infra pro sapientia.

However, when it comes to the gender of _age_:

As we see, The Mighty New York Times ALSO confuses a MASCULINE noun with a
FEMININE noun ---- the _age_ we see above should be MASCULINE, not
FEMININE -- _femmes d'un certain age_.

Casady
Bryn
2007-12-01 16:39:21 UTC
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Your people skills defy belief.
--
Bryn

Red meat isn't bad for you.
Furry grey meat is bad for you...
The Highlander
2007-12-01 19:34:25 UTC
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:39:21 +0000, Bryn
Post by Bryn
Post by D. Spencer Hines
[...]
Renia is paying the price for ignoring Hines' masturbatory summonses.
I imagine his den in Kailua is a sea of used Kleenex. Hines'pursuit of
her is pure fantasy; the man has clearly been impotent for years, as
witness his fantasies and his desperate attempts to re-activate the
relevent member by exposing it to bestiality and other horrors.

Cialis, Tadalafil and Viagra must be locked in a life or death
struggle for the Hines' account. Erectile dysfunction is such a
profitable market - keep an eye on the Dow Jones to see who's winning!

As for Renia, she has remained a lady throughout, thereby underlining
the yawning gulf between decency and the hoarse gruntings aimed at
attracting her attention. A sorry tale of Beauty and the Bestial.

Quite frankly, the very idea of being approached by Hines' on heat
would be enough to sicken a dog if the glimpse we were recently
privileged to be view constitutes the horizons of his quest for love.

I can hardly wait to see the film. "Debbie does Dallas!" will shrivel
into insignificance, compared with "Hines meets 101 Dalmations..."

Heaven forfend! The mind boggles!
Renia
2007-12-01 23:57:37 UTC
Post by The Highlander
Renia is paying the price for ignoring Hines' masturbatory summonses.
I know. He fancies me like shit. Now, watch for the venom like you've
never seen. Look in the archives for the names he's called me, for the
accusations he's made against me, for the things he's even accused my
husband of 29.5 years of.

He's pure scum.
Post by The Highlander
I imagine his den in Kailua is a sea of used Kleenex. Hines'pursuit of
her is pure fantasy; the man has clearly been impotent for years, as
witness his fantasies and his desperate attempts to re-activate the
relevent member by exposing it to bestiality and other horrors.
Have to say, in the defence of the impotent, there are many reasons for
it. Once, a man was powerful and sexy, but when age and illness creep up
on him, suddenly, the expected mountain don't rise. It's a shock, a
disappointment. And an embarassment. And it could happen to anyone, at
any time. Don't count your two little plucked chickens, you boys.

For all those men out there whose memories are all they have, well,
boys, remember them and be grateful you at least have memories. Some men
have nothing at all to hold on to.
Renia
2007-12-02 01:05:45 UTC
Post by Renia
For all those men out there whose memories are all they have, well,
boys, remember them and be grateful you at least have memories. Some men
have nothing at all to hold on to.
They do if they pick their ass.
Tiggy, my sweet, you have become too Yankee. Pick your arse, my arse.
What does that mean to your average Heinz-beans Brit?
Everybody happy holding on.
Yeah, but let go of your arse, and see what else is around.
Renia
2007-12-02 00:03:11 UTC
Post by The Highlander
Cialis, Tadalafil and Viagra must be locked in a life or death
struggle for the Hines' account.
Highcolander show how familiar he is with the pharmacology of
flaccid.
as the sum of all formulas doesn't seem to help him he takes jabs at a
fellow geriatric with what afflicts him as well.
At least Mr. Hines has some female company, skin and bones as it may
be, but you have nothing but a choice of hands.
Rectum.

Elle apprend la langue francais.
D. Spencer Hines

Casady
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-01 19:30:25 UTC
"Mr. Hines belongs to the club of people who like to say things like "No
problemo" to show they know Spanish, or "un âge" for French."

Pogue Tiglath -- AKA Jose Suriol

Yep...

He wrote that, with the circumflex ---- wrongly thinking he was writing
about a FEMININE noun.

He tried to condemn me for writing _un_ and making the noun masculine.

Hilarious!

Now he's trying to run away from it....

WEASELING...

Lux et Veritas et Libertas
D. Spencer Hines
2007-12-02 12:29:00 UTC
Yes, indeed.

"Une femme d'un certain age"

Jeanne Moreau made a cultural icon of her -- and not just in French culture.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Moreau>

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Civis Mundus Sum