A Trump Economy
Tiglath
2017-04-23 04:01:11 UTC
We need more than one hundred days to see the effects of Trump's policies on
jobs.

The 20 cents they want to give health insurers in the healthcare dollar, is
insurmountable obstacle to "better and cheaper healthcare." They can't go
around or through it. All it's left is to face the fact.

That we've seen already. With jobs it will take longer, but there is no way
on Earth Trump can halt the automation trend, no good news there for Donald.

The other half of a job-killing perfect storm can very well be the accelerating demise of brick and mortar stores -- the Amazon Effect -- which puts the
survival of long standing companies like Sears and Macy's in doubt.

A third cyclone yet, could be a revolution in transportation.
Electric flying cars exist and are technically a slum-dunk, adapting
infrastructure to them might take a while but the disruption to jobs could
start soon.

It feels a bit like time travel and observing the future, but there are
real near-future economic consequences, and it will be a hard test for
any well-prepared leader.

A floundering Trump economy could do unexpected things to the prez's amygdala.

The notion that Trump has a plan for the big problems that he is just not
sharing, which is Spencer's version, would be edifying if evidence to the
contrary wasn’t so convincing.
Tiglath
2017-04-25 17:05:47 UTC
Yesterday I heard congressman Kevin Brady talk about the oncoming tax reform bill.

He heralded 9% economic growth and 8% wage increase across the board.

Wow.

Their projection allows for that, he claims, but it COUNTS and RELIES ON:

The growth expected from tax cuts to the 'job creators.'

It's what a famous economist calls, a 'zombie' idea.

An idea that should be dead after being discredited time after time, but that
somehow it's still alive and won't die.

We saw the same nonsense with W., and nobody seems to have learned the lesson.

Brady whined about only 2% growths during the Obama years, but never mentioned
what W. did to the economy he passed on.

If Trump is going for the same formula, we need not wait for results. We
know already what's going to happen. The "job creators" will get soaring
profits, give some to politicians, and the economy will tank again.

Because this mythical 'growth' which will pay for the tax cuts and all Trump
schemes, will never materialize, as never has before.

This is not new. Until these ideologues die, we won't stop hearing about
the same stupid trickle down economics.
Robert Mulain
2017-04-26 06:42:28 UTC
Post by Tiglath
Yesterday I heard congressman Kevin Brady talk about the oncoming tax reform bill.
He heralded 9% economic growth and 8% wage increase across the board.
Wow.
Wow indeed! 9% is just about the amount of cocaine present in a wrap here in London right now.
What do I dimly recall about lies, damned lies and statistics?
Tiglath
2017-04-26 21:37:08 UTC
Post by Robert Mulain
What do I dimly recall about lies, damned lies and statistics?
Basket and baskets.

Forgot to add that the man said that individuals will be able to file
card-size tax returns, due to extreme simplicity.

Individuals now may need a manila file to keep all the forms needed for a tax
return, if paper, but if you have a business tax returns look like books.

These are marvelous goals, and I will cheer Trump for each he achieves, but...
this amorphous simplicity of purpose, has to trudge through the gauntlet of
Congress and have the details battled out. Deal making will involve a
number of alterations that will simply result in a different but still
complicated tax code. Just watch.

A flat-rate will never make it, to many asides necessary to please all the
cooks stirring the pot.

Sometimes, some things are best designed by a SMALL competent team. There is,
much, especially in technology that would not exist if it had to be the work
of a committee. Two guys designed UNIX, and just a couple of other guys or just
one designed most computer languages. A singular author or two of the same/complementary view will often devise better systems than a large group,
like the horde in Congress.

Design by committee produces systems (or bills) that try to please so many interests that please none well, like a duck, or a few too well.

This bill has the same kind of economic philosophy as tried by Bush, it was
named 'voodoo economics,' to indicate that growth materializes as if by magic
-- once you've incentivized the 'job creators.'

Problem is that trial after painful trial of these policies, this magic
'growth' never comes, and to go in for another round is kind of creepy.

Thus ignoring critical historical evidence, but what's new?

If the stated growth of 9% is what will pay for the massive tax cuts to the
rich, and modest ones to the rest, if any, 'deficit' will be a sore word to
utter in Trump's company.

Lower middle-class good folks, like our marine friend, will probably catch
no break, since Trump is not spending much on government employees.
He wants to chop off the dead wood, a praiseworthy endeavor.

The 47% Romney alluded to, the Freewheeling Franklins living entirely or almost
on other people's money: Gotta drop some of that ballast.

Presidents may not affect economic cycles much, unless they really try, like
W. Others like to just nudge the thing along.

Trump says he will try to affect it so much that the economy will grow 9%.

If the past counsels as to the future, get a hat to hang on.
Peter Jason
2017-04-27 05:28:46 UTC
Post by Tiglath
Post by Robert Mulain
[...]
A good political move would be for him to hang Alan Greenspan and his
bankster collaborators.
Tiglath
2017-04-27 15:46:15 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Tiglath
Post by Robert Mulain
[...]
Update you pet hates.

You are still looking at a corpse and missing the fact that Trump has a Wall Street mogul running Treasury, and others as advisors.
Peter Jason
2017-04-27 21:56:07 UTC
Post by Tiglath
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Tiglath
Post by Robert Mulain
[...]
Me? Ich? Io? Je?

The fact of Trump is blowback from the 2008 catastophe when we were
screwed over by incompetents, crooks and ivy-leahue time-servers!

Enjoy!

HOTSPUR
Nay, I will. That's flat!
He said he would not ransom Greenspan,
Forbad my tongue to speak of Greenspan.
But I will find him when he lies asleep,
And in his ear I'll hollo "Greenspan."
Nay,
I'll have a starling shall be taught to speak
Nothing but "Greenspan," and give it him
To keep his anger still in motion.
HIV Pt1
Tiglath
2017-04-28 14:48:01 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Tiglath
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Tiglath
Post by Robert Mulain
[...]
Still going on, by new incompetent, crooked Ivy-Leaguers.

Can't see them, or won't?

Tiglath
2017-04-27 15:42:34 UTC
If any of my associates came into a meeting to present a 'tax plan' and delivered only a single sheet of paper with bullet points, with so many
key details left out that amounted to a pipe dream, they would not be invited
again.

The same pattern of dressing only a window to suggest the whole house is in
order, is getting old.

A president that doesn't do 'details' is like a window cleaner that doesn't do
windows.

The same with North Korea and Syria. After the missile strike, the National
Enquirer's front page went... "Trump At War with Dictators!"

Which marked the issue as "mission accomplished" in Trump's head.

Bluster, braggadocio, ineffectiveness, incompetence, over-promising and under-
delivering is the prez's hallmark.

A tax "plan" that favors the rich in a time when concerns about inequality are
growing is also bad, politically.

Will the gangrene of faction force Mr. Hines to support a plan that gives him
nothing, and even menaces the public generosity that provides him with a living?