"The concept of sovereignty and national boundaries in imperial China was never as cut and dried as the norm established in the West with the 1648 Peace of Westphalia." (recent article)
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-08 08:46:48 UTC
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/opinion/china-hong-kong-xi-jinping.html
SolomonW
2017-07-09 07:52:57 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/opinion/china-hong-kong-xi-jinping.html
It may be good bargaining.

When a treaty favors Japan, when we attempt to renegotiate it, we are told
how Japanese culture insists that a treaty once signed is a scared text to
Japanese people and how import it is to keep your word, when the treaty
goes against Japan, we are given lectures about how one must go with the
flow and how a treaty is not seen as fixed in stone but a document that
must change as the situation moves on.